Have you ever taken your rooftop cargo box out for a spin and observed that it’s not quite as bright as when you first purchased it? Well, you are not alone mate! Just like any other earthly objects, roof boxes too lose their shine over the time. The color starts fading away and it starts to look a shadow of your former self. But you don’t have to lose your heart just yet. There are a few things you can do to prevent your roof box from fading away. It’s not rocket science – keeping your roof box in good condition will help it last longer. But just how do you go about doing that? Read on for our top tips on preventing fading and other damage.
Why does Roof Box Fade?
Majority of roof boxes that are commonly available in the market are made from gelcoat or pigmented polyester. This pigmented polyester tends to suffer from UV damage and color loss, especially during the summer months. Your roof box will start degrading slowly but surely and the color will starts to fade. It is important to note that black color roof box and white color roof box tends to take the maximum beating from the sun. However, if you can apply clear acrylic varnish on it, it will be able to protect the roof box to some extent.
How can I Prevent My Roof Box from Fading?
We simply can’t get rid of Sun and its UV rays and that leaves us with only one option and that is to take preventive measures so that our roof box doesn’t fade away.
- First you need to clean the surface of the roof box with soap and water. Let it dry for at least 12 hours before you proceed to the next step.
- Next, you will have to apply Color restorer on the surface with clean cloth or a brush. Don’t touch the surface for the next 10 or 20 minutes.
- Use lint-free cloth to get rid of any excess.
General Preventative Measures
Trying to keep your roof boxes in great condition? Here are some preventative measures that you can give a try –
- Store Indoor When Not In Use – If you are not using it, there is no point in keeping it attached to the roof of your car. By removing it from the roof of your car, you will be able to minimize exposure to the UV rays of the sun and this will help in preventing fading.
- Keep It Clean – You need to try your level best to keep the roof box clean. All you have to do is to use soapy water to get rid of the dirt, debris, and grime that has built up on the surface over the course of the time. Don’t allow dusts to accumulate on the surface as it can damage the surface in one way or the other.
- Cover It Up – If you are unable to store the roof box inside your garage, you can at least try to cover it up with a tarp. This will keep it projected from the harsh weather outside.